From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

".One of the recent  posts suggested kids read more slowly in their heads
but this one really
zoomed! "

Clarification:  I did not suggest that kids read slower mentally.  They
should be reading twice as fast mentally since the mouth can only "read"
(verbally pronounce) only about 150-200 words a minute.  Mentally, they
should be at 200 or more.  Show a sign such as "Do Not Step on the Grass"
and see how long it takes them to read it mentally....won't take but 1 or 2
seconds.  At 6 words per second, it becomes 360 words a minute.  At 6 words
at 2 seconds it becomes 180 words per minute.  That should give you a range.
If they can understand you speaking as fast as you can, they can read
mentally at that speed.  Too many teachers tell them to slow down to
pronounce the sounds when the kids should be reading text at the speed of
spoken words.

As far as "comprehension" is concerned.  I've had students who barely speak
English answer comprehension questions.  They learn to look for key words in
a question and find the same words in the text.  Answering questions isn't
comprehension.  Can she repeat the information to you?  Can she answer the
questions WITHOUT looking back at the text?  That will tell you whether
there is comprehension....

Bill