Some children read more slowly in their heads, but I would venture to say this
is rare.  Sight reading is a much quicker process than vocalization--just as
cursive writing is quicker than printing.  These processes are only slower when
a student has not reached the level to write in cursive comfortably or read
silently comfortably, or when some other issue is at play.  It is one of the
reasons I believe oral fluency tests should end at a certain level.  How many
adults read their reading material aloud? We don't because it is expedient to
read silently (and maybe less embarrrassing in public:) ).  I know many
students who cannot comprehend their reading when they are asked to read aloud.
 As soon as I allow the silent option--they read fine.  I also know people who
can fluently read a foreign language silently, though they cannot speak it. I
try to keep it in mind that it is different for different children.

Bonita
California