In a message dated 5/22/2007 8:07:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I've  been teaching a pretty long time. It seems curious to me that in
> the  early 90s, nobody "practiced fluency" and nobody tested it either,
> yet  we managed to have children learn to read, talk about what they had
>  read, write book reports and essays about books they had read,  etc.

Just to continue this thread.  We need to look at the date.   Children have
not been making strong literacy gains since the 1950s.  The  research is there
and clearly shows this.  The amount of children in this  country that are
illiterate is staggering.  The number of children who  do not read on grade
level
by the end of 4th grade is also shocking.  We  can't say that in the 90s
children learned to read better with the methods we  were using.  That may be
true
in one small portion of the population, but  not for the entire country.  I
agree that we should not throw out the baby  with the bath water which many
times we do in education.  What all the  research proves matters MOST to
children
is the TEACHER they have NOT the  program or method.  What works for all
children is having a teacher that  knows what they need and is able to deliver
the
instruction using whatever  method works for that child.

Laura