Christina,

Have you read IN THE MIDDLE by Atwell?  It's a classic book like MOT.
READING ZONE is more or less an updated edition, and I think Nancy is a
great teacher and has lots of great ideas on teaching reading.  I agree we
are putting the cart before the horse with strategies running the show, so
we are getting copies for my reading department to read next fall.

For many, the tail is wagging the dog.  We're so wrapped up in this world of
strategies, that we forget the main point of using them.....comprehension.
I have had more kids who came into class telling me they hated reading than
ever before, and I think it's because we have lost sight of the joy of
reading.  I have teachers who insist on Reading logs and making kids read 20
minutes every night, but most of the kids don't do it or fake their homework
logs.  They aren't taught how to make appropriate choices when reading, so
they hate reading.

The main problem I see with ZONE, is that I don't see enough "research" to
back up her ideas.  The main point of the book isn't really the reading,
though....it's that fact that the TEACHER MAKES THE DIFFERENCE.  To really
teach a reading workshop as she describes, you have to read tons of YA
books.  I barely have time enough to read MY books, let alone read all the
YA books on the market.  I use "guinea pigs" in my class who I trust and
have them read new books and give me their opinions.  I read a few YA books
every year, but they help me a lot!  Anyone can teach strategies, but to
really teach the love of reading takes a lot of work!

I also have issue about her comments on "Making Connections."  She says
makilng connections HURTS comprehension because you can get distracted from
the reading and lose your train of thought.  I think this can happen for
some, but learning to control your mind so it makes APPROPRIATE connections
makes it a VERY important strategy.  I think connections can not only help
comprehension, but it can ENHANCE the reading by making it deeply personal.
I was amazed Atwell didn't get that point because one of the reasons she
loves literature is because of the feelings she gets from reading.  Making
connections isn't just about intellectual connections; it's also about
making emotional ones.

It's a great book because it does remind us that reading isn't something we
teach for a test, or for a school year, or only until college --- reading is
for a lifetime.

Bill