Bill-- You asked about what we're reading.  My friend Ardie Cole
recommended EAT, PRAY and LOVE by Elizabeth Gilbert.  Have you ever
read Ann Lamott's Bird by Bird? It's a book that really makes you want
to write, write, write. If you haven't written a book, let me just
share what it was like for me. If you don't care, just delete this
email but just thinking of Ann Lamott's description of what it means to
write, reminded me of what I went through.

I started Smart Answers on June 15 last summer and had it finished
(except for revisions) by August. It was an incredible process. The
first step was that it seemed absolutely impossible. Everything I've
ever written was impossible before I started. All I could think was, "I
can't do this." and that first brazen act of putting the very first
words out there was like jumping out of plane. Exhilarating but
terrifying and this feeling that I could not control the words. Then, I
got into it and I absolutely, totally obsessed on that book. I wrote
and wrote and wrote and wrote for hours at a time to where my legs
would cramp up and I didn't even realize it until I got up and couldn't
walk. In other words, I was totally in the writing zone.

When I went out for groceries, I would force myself to buy only enough
to last a day or two because I was seriously afraid that I would just
stay in the house and not go out for days at a time and I knew that
wasn't healthy. There wasn't a night when  I went to bed that I didn't
think "Where am I in the book? What will I write next?" and there
wasn't a morning I woke up when my first thought wasn't "Where am I in
the book?"

I told my editor that at first, that extended obsessive process of
creation is like having a long, fascinating conversation--in my head of
course-- with a really smart person who totally agrees with  everything
I say. Toward the end though, it became for me, a very claustrophobic
process. I couldn't stand the sound of my own voice in my head that
preceded the words I typed-- just droning on and on and on.

I think everyone should experience that sort of magnificent and
horrible absorbtion in their own creation at some point in their life.
I talked to Nancie Atwell at IRA in Toronto and I know she gets it
because she too sat there through 11 and 12 hour days writing,
rewording and making the words do what she wanted, I've also told my
editor that when the words magically come out just right that there
comes a point where I don't even care if anyone else likes it or not. I
have achieved something personal and intrinsic. There is just nothing
else like it. There is a creative rush, a true high that comes at some
times during the process.

Actually, at this moment, I'm writing a little story for my
granddaughter who's five. Playing around with a children's book is
refreshing after writing my Smart Answers for so long.  The chances of
it ever getting published are about zero. It's very hard to break into
that genre. I don't care though. I'm just so thrilled with this
adventure. I have this little movie running in my head and I'm working
the words to get them to obey me and come down on the page the way I
want them and I'm picturing my granddaughter acting out the story and
laughing at it.

I guess what I'm saying is that we've all experienced the reading zone.
But I hope you will trust yourselves enough to take a leap into the
writing zone even if no one ever reads it but you. There is just
nothing else like it. Read Annie Lamott's book and there's a good
chance you will be seduced into the writing zone.