I'm going to address some of the management issues. I'm not in the classroom
right now, but I visit schools and classrooms as a substitute and also as a
workshop presenter and consultant. So I'm probably in classrooms about 10
days a month.

One thing I consistently see is teachers spending too much time managing and
monitoring things that would be best left to the students or student teams.

For example I substituted several times this year in a "highly capable" 5/6
classroom. The good part, kids are expected to go through the spelling lists
(and most other subjects) on their own. The bad part, the teacher is the
person who tests kids when they are ready to "challenge" their spelling
list.

On my sub days, there was a line in front of me with 5-6 kids waiting for me
to give them their test. I asked them to "pair up" and give each other the
tests, but they wouldn't let that happen - "only the teacher can give the
test Mr. Mack!" Yet these same kids self-assess and test all of their math
work.

In another 6th grade classroom I watched a teacher to buzz around to EVERY
student in alphabetical order and ask them what page they were on and if
they'd have their project ready for the next day (20 min.?). During a break
I suggested that she allow student groups/tables to monitor pages/books read
and progress on projects using some sort of weekly (monthly?) sheet that she
could pick up, review, and talk about when she visited the group at their
table.

So the bottom line is for your instructional team to pick the really
essential things - the things best left to highly qualified teachers - teach
these and assess these. Then let the students self-manage most of the other
learning "requirements". I preferred groups of three as it provided that
built-in peer support network and heck; kids just need to talk about things.

Lastly, you will need to get students well versed in classroom procedures -
how to start class, make transitions, use work time, turn in papers, etc.
One idea I really like is the idea of "work time" (WT) vs. "quiet work time"
(QWT).

Use WT for those student monitored things where you can go from group to
group to check up (formative assessment) on how they're doing. This is when
there's that buzz in the classroom from kids talking and working on things
together. It's also the time for the teacher to be more "transparent". WT
could be used for grammar, spelling, vocab, and even projects or "required
work" in the anthology.

Use QWT for SSR, individual conferences, reading inventories, journal
activities, and other individual and reflective elements you select for your
students.

A sample 60 minute schedule might be:
* Bell WT with team (5 min.): check in, booklogs, grammar/DOL, this is a
daily routine and expectation that requires nothing from you to start.
* Direct Instruction (10-15 min): mini-lesson, strategies, reviews, etc.
* Short Transition with reminders
* WT (20 min.)- teams/individuals work to complete self-monitored
assignments and group projects. Teacher engages in formative assessment -
MBWA (Google it!)
* Short Transition with reminders
* QWT (15-20 min): SSR, Journals, Read Aloud, reflecting, more MBWA, etc.
* Exit Questions/Review and Routine

Keith Mack
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.literacyworkshop.org