Do you know Colleen Cruz's book "Independent Writing: One teacher,
thirty-two needs, topics and plans"?  I'm reading it right now and it
does a brilliant job describing how to plan and teach toward
independence.  It's short and 100% practical.  A great model to turn
to for your writer's workshop.

Best of luck,
Heather