From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Sent: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 1:31 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Repeated Readings for Fluency  - Question for Tim

Alright, Tim and Elaine...I am going to be brave and post a few thoughts
here. I am a fan of both of you...and I can see more than a little common
ground. Somewhere, I read that a true definition of fluency INCLUDES
comprehension.
If we say a fluent reader must also need  to comprehend, then we can take the
research that seems contradictory and it  makes more sense.

When I am working with my struggling readers with recorded books (to build
word recognition automaticity) I spend an even greater amount of time  teaching
them the comprehension strategies. Every classroom I walk  into, every
colleague that gets model lessons from me, knows that I make very  clear to
students
that the basic skills of reading--the phonics, fluency,  are the means to an
end and the end is comprehension. It is all about balance  and too often, I
think, when we as professionals lose that sense of balance, we  get into
trouble.

If you will permit me, I would like to share a personal story  here...
Two years ago, I worked with a fourth grade class of struggling readers who
where from 6 months to 3 years below grade level at the start of the year.
(Let  it be said here, the regular classroom teacher was also struggling and on

an assistance plan. Part of my job was to help him develop more effective
teaching techniques.) I modified a process that I read about in one of  Tim's
books. The first day, we read the text for the week to the  students. I modeled
comprehension strategy and we had a rather deep discussion  about the
author's purpose, the main ideas, vocabulary, character traits or  the author's
language choices.We used graphic organizers to make text  structures explicit.
On
the second day, we read the text again...but it was  an echo read. This time, I
made explicit a fluency component, such as observing  punctuation, phrasing,
etc, and then tied it back into the comprehension  strategies we worked on the
day before. (i.e....how does changing the intonation  of what a character
says change the meaning). On the third day, the students  read with a buddy and
as they read, they were to keep a pack of post its by  their side. If they
noticed something interesting or important they were to mark  it and we had a
share session afterwards. Again, while they knew they wanted to  improve their
accuracy, the comprehension aspect was the end goal. On the fourth  day,we
would

practice the story for a performance.The students self evaluated  their oral
fluency based on a rubric. On Friday, we performed the  piece for an audience
and I sent the piece home as a "lucky listener" project.  (The kids read it to
as many people as they could find who would sign the back  of it. The kids
goal was to read it to more people than anyone else.)

 After about 6 months of this, the students were given the  SRI-Scholastic
Reading Inventory and most of the kids made huge gains. I have  been told that
100 lexiles was a year's growth on this comprehension test.  These kids made an
average of 400 lexiles growth. When the kids read orally at  their
instructional level and I checked reading rates, I was interested to find
growth but it
was not exactly within grade level norms. Yet on our state test  here in
Maryland, I had 74% of them meet proficiency in reading  comprehension.

What this tells me, is that by teaching fluency as a means to  comprehension,
and by making clear that the end goal is comprehension, not  simply reading
faster, we can improve comprehension over all.
Jennifer
Maryland

 In a message dated 7/8/2007 10:42:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Those  quotes are correct.  I think the more recent research, though, is
>  moving us forward.  We have found correlations between .50 - .60
> between
> fluency and comprehension for older students.   Not huge, but not
> insignificant either

Tim. I'd love to  see the studies you refer to. And again, as you've
pointed out,  correlation is not causation and therefore, it is entirely
possible  and maybe even likely, that comprehension is influencing
fluency--  or at the very least, the relationship is  reciprocal rather
than it's fluency that's influencing comprehension,  right?