It happened here too.  Teachers were told to take home anything that wasn't
part of the basal program and any materials that weren't with the basal and
any real books were removed from the classrooms.  No joke.
Kim

On 7/11/07, Zoe Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You have to be kidding about the cart.
> Thanks for your suggestion about the scope and sequence.
> On Wednesday, July 11, 2007, at 08:14  PM, Linda Lavoie wrote:
>
> > The scope and sequence of skills in a basal is a good thing.....also
> > lots of
> > ideas and strategies for beginning teachers........these skills can be
> > applied to any literature......I am not familiar with the new mcGraw
> > Hill
> > materials, but they probably have included differentiated instructions,
> > suggestions and materials for teachers........scope and sequence also
> > provides consistency for grade level conversation......it's a starting
> > point
> > for teachers who have not developed strong instructional skills in the
> > reading area.......your lucky that your district didn't send a cart
> > around
> > to "pull" other material from your shelves (that actually happened in
> > my
> > district), and that you have the 'freedom' to supplement the texts with
> > other materials...
> >
> > On 7/11/07, Zoe Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Although our faculty is familiar with teaching reading comprehension
> >> through strategies, they are not yet practiced. The administration,
> >> for
> >> numerous reasons, ordered McGraw-Hill reading materials for us to
> >> begin
> >> using.  The money is spent.  The books are on the way.  Who of you
> >> have
> >> found ways to combine strategies and basal texts?  We DO have freedom
> >> in the classroom to make choices in how and what we teach, but of
> >> course, we will be expected to use the new texts in useful ways.
> >> Eagerly awaiting your suggestions,
> >> Zoe

> >> mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.
> >>
> >> Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.

> > mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.
> >
> > Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.

Kim
-------
Kimberlee Hannan
Department Chair
Sequoia Middle School
Fresno, California 93702

Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, let go of what you can't
change, kiss slowly, play hard, forgive quickly, take chances, give
everything, have no regrets.. Life's too short to be anything but happy.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]