I'd never heard of this before until it was mentioned on this
listserv.  I've usually had my writing and reading workshops in
the afternoons and have never noticed a problem.  I have noticed
more of a problem in the mornings, especially right before lunch!
Elisa Waingort
Calgary, Canada

It is interesting that people say this.  I had an administrator call
me on the fact that I was following a Fountas and Pinnell schedule
that placed Reading Workshop in the afternoon.  He was pulling the
old "more focused in the morning" line.  I went online to try and
find research to support his claim, but found the opposite.  The only
2 pieces of research I could find on the information (which, of
course, I no longer have the link for) found that brains acted
differently after lunch/12:00 pm and that they were not able to hold
information like math or science in their long term memory easily.
However, they were able to read and hold the information that they
read.  It had to do with some kind of chemical reaction in their
brains after eating.  It was very interesting, however, I lost the
fight that year!
Julie/FL