On Jul 21, 2007, at 9:31 PM, Tami wrote:

> In Title 1- when I used to do my annual report- we had to assess the
> kids
> using a standardized test.  All kids being served in our program were
> expected to progress MORE than one year- as -they are receiving reading
> instruction in the regular classroom- (a full year's growth) AND they
> were
> receiving additional reading instruction- so we were required to bring
> every
> child's reading level up a year plus more..... as that is what the
> supplemental instruction was supposed to be providing....

This is absolutely, completely, utterly absurd. It comes from the
viewpoint that children are vessels to be filled, and if you just fill
the vessel faster, it will fill up sooner. That's not education. That's
physics.

  If a student were able to progress like this, he/she wouldn't be
behind in the first place.

Who thinks this stuff up, anyhow?
Renee

Deep down we must have real affection for each other, a clear
realization or recognition of our shared human status.  At the same
time, we must openly accept all ideologies and systems as a means of
solving humanity's problems.  One country, one nation, one ideology,
one system is not sufficient.
~ The Dalai Lama