Read OVERCOMING DYSLEXIA by Sally Shaywitz for a complete history, explanation
and description of dyslexia which also includes information on assessment and
teaching.  Dyslexia is a language processing disability that is neurologically
based in the part of the brain which allows for phonlogical processing.  As
such, people with dyslexia can be taught to read through a multisensory
approach to "recircut" the neural waves to process the connections between
speech sounds and the written symbols that represent those sounds.

Intervention Central is an excellent resource as is the INTERNATIONAL DYSLEXIA
ASSOCIATION.
LDONLINE and SCHWAB LEARNING are excellent web based resources.

Shelley Levy