3. Gifted Learners in the Regular Classroom - It is CAG's position that
when gifted students are placed in the regular classroom, for their
education to be effective, it must be an integral part of the school
day, include appropriate and flexible grouping, provide significant
interaction with intellectual peers, include the students' interests
and levels of knowledge and ability, be differentiated to meet their
needs, and provide for continuous progress

http://www.cagifted.org/pages/positionPapers.html

CAG provides many position papers you might find useful.

Patricia Kimathi
Mission Parent Representative
California Association for the Gifted
8465 South Van Ness Avenue
Inglewood, CA 90305
Phone: 323.750.6559
Fax: 323.292.3626
Serving gifted students,
parents, teachers, and administrators
of Los Angeles County
On Aug 19, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Renee wrote:

> Here are a couple of summaries of position statements from the National
> Association for Gifted Education:
>
> ADDRESSING AFFECTIVE NEEDS OF GIFTED CHILDREN
> Educational and counseling programs must provide all children with
> opportunities to develop understanding of themselves and their role in
> society. Because, by definition, gifted children differ significantly
> from others, these programs should be responding to the social
> emotional or affective characteristics that distinguish gifted students
> from others
>
> DIFFERENTIATION OF CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION
> NAGC supports the provision of appropriate quality educational
> experiences for all students across the spectrum of ability,
> background, and achievement. The learning needs of gifted students
> often differ from those of other students and should be addressed
> through differentiation, a modification of curriculum and instruction
> based on the assessed achievement and interests of individual students.
>
> More complete statements can be accessed at
> http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=375
>
> The very idea that a district/school would create a gifted cluster
> class and then mandate that the basal be strictly adhered to is really
> absurd to the max, in my opinion.
>
> Renee
>

> On Aug 19, 2007, at 10:25 AM, ljackson wrote:
>
>> I think I get it.  How does lock step, one size fits all instruction
>> make
>> sense in a gift and talented classroom?  Course, I think this is a
>> valid
>> question for every group of learners.
>>
>> Lori
>>

>> On 8/19/07 9:51 AM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>> Laura,
>>>
>>> Your question is confusing, can you clarify?

>>> class.  We are required to use a basal and must teach the stories in