I hope this is an appropriate use of the listserv...
Well, I just found out I'll be teaching grade 5 and school starts 2
weeks from yesterday.  What are some of your #1 most practical teacher
resources that can be directly implemented without too much theory (I'm
strong on theory).  I have a strong literacy background and train
others in literacy, but now I need some specific information to get
going.  I know this listserv is mostly dedicated to
reading/comprehension, but I'd value input on a writing resources as
well.  There is no set curriculum tool or teacher's manual for reading
or writing in our district.  What we have is a list of benchmarks and
GLCE.  How we accomplish those benchmarks is up to us.  Feel free to
email me off list.  We do Words Their Way and I feel confident
implementing that.
If anyone has a list of novel studies or any study guides to accompany
them, please email me off list too.

I have and am very familiar with the following for upper el (don't need
all those good ones for lower el anymore!):
Guiding Readers and Writers (Fountas/Pinnell)
Still Learning to Read (Sibberson/Szymusiak)
Beyond Leveled Readers (Sibberson/Szymusiak)
7 Keys...(Hutchins)
Craft Lessons - both fiction/nonfiction (Fletcher)
Writer's Workshop (Fletcher)
Reviser's Toolbox (Lane)

Any other helps?
Kim/5th (YIKES!!!!!!)

p.s. No science teacher's manual or social studies either,  but that's
another story another day...