Kim,

I, too, am teaching 5th grade for the first time after many years in
lower grades.  Some of the more practical reads directly tied to
fifth grade:

* No Non-Sense Guide to Teaching Writing (by Sharon Hill/ Judy Davis,
two master 5th grade teachers) nuts and bolts for writing workshop.
*Non-Fiction Matters by Stephanie Harvey
*Lessons in Comprehension by Frank Serafini- All great minilessons to
draw from.  A helpful starting point- 100% practical.

Others you might be interested in:

On writing from a mentor text: Wonderous Words by Katie Wood Ray and
Independent Writing by Colleen Cruz.

For math check out Math in the City's new curriculum on First Hand:
www.contextsforlearning.com (the math strings are great to supplement
whatever math curriculum you're using.

I'd love to hear what you're finding, as I'm in the same boat!  Hope
this is helpful.

Heather