On Sep 18, 2007, at 4:58 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I hope this is not off topic, if so I apologize.  I am required to
> give a
> weekly spelling test.  Most of my students are getting a 100% on the
> pre-test
> each week so I am going to move them to a different list.
>
> My question is:  My colleague emphatically believes that a spelling
> list
> MUST have a phonics rule.  Why?
> What about prefixes and suffixes, root words, etc.  Those aren't
> phonics
> rules.  BTW, I teach third grade.
> I would love to hear what others have to say.

First of all, just because your colleague says something, especially
when it's an opinion, that doesn't mean you have to follow along. :-)

When I taught third grade, I had individual spelling lists that the
kids kept in their reading/writing folders on an index card. The words
that went on there were words from their own writing that were common
or phonetic words that I felt they should know how to spell. When they
got to a certain number of words, they made a spelling contract that
lasted a week. They wrote the words on the contract and I kept the
index card. Students gave each other their spelling tests. The number
of words depended on the students. "Higher" students had about 12
words, while "lower" students had about 8 or so words. Was it
confusing? Yes and no. I had a special calendar that was ONLY for
spelling with kids' names on it and at the end of each day I reminded
those who had a spelling test the next day.

When I stopped doing individual spelling lists, I started doing words
with patterns. I think this had something to do with either Rebecca
Sitton or Diane Snowball. I don't remember any more. But I would take
word parts (i.e., "igh" and as a class we would make word lists with
these parts (i.e., bright, light, fright, night, high, sigh, sight,
frightful, delightful, brightness, etc) and then what I would do is
assign about eight of these words for everyone and let kids choose four
or six more for themselves.

Renee

"The test of a good teacher is not how many questions he can asks his
pupils that they will answer readily, but how many questions he
inspires them to ask which he finds hard to answer."
~ Alice Wellington Rollins