I believe that spelling words should pattern the 4 blocks framework: high
frequency words and words with patterns. I would suggest pulling many words
from the children's writing and aligning the phonics to the standards.

Hope this helps.

Carol
>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 9/18/2007 7:58 PM >>>
I hope this is not off topic, if so I apologize.  I am required to  give a
weekly spelling test.  Most of my students are getting a 100% on the  pre-test
each week so I am going to move them to a different list.

My question is:  My colleague emphatically believes that a spelling  list
MUST have a phonics rule.  Why?
What about prefixes and suffixes, root words, etc.  Those aren't  phonics
rules.  BTW, I teach third grade.
I would love to hear what others have to say.

Rosie

Carol A. Mauer
BCSC Literacy Coach
Lincoln School, Home Base
(812) 376-4447

"It is not how much you do, but how much love you put in the doing."

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER
FN:Mauer, Carol