Jennifer,

As a newly appointed literacy coach for our corporation, I am interested in
learning more about this model of professional development. Can you please
elaborate on the "Every Pupil Response"? I must have missed that in previous
emails.

Thanks for sharing your expertise. Have a wonderful day!

Carol

Carol A. Mauer
BCSC Literacy Coach
Lincoln School, Home Base
(812) 376-4447

"It is not how much you do, but how much love you put in the doing."

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 9/22/2007 7:42 PM >>>
Hello friends on the Mosaic list,
Since we have been so quiet, I thought I would share some more of what I
have been doing...

I have been posting recently about the experiments we have been doing with
lesson study in teaching the comprehension strategies. For those of you
unfamiliar with lesson study, it is a process originating in Japan where
teachers
take a lesson plan from an expert and refine it to meet the needs  of their
students. One colleague takes this lesson plan that  you have worked on
together
and teaches it in front of the other colleagues  taking part. Then you meet to
debrief. Once you have debriefed  and adjusted the plan, another colleague
teaches then new,  refined lesson while the others watch and the process
repeats
itself. It is  mostly been used for math and science lessons, less often for
language  arts.

 I have talked a little here on the list about the lesson we have been
teaching for our first cycle...Tanny's Reading Salad and how we plan to teach
Debbie Miller's file folder lesson for schema for the second cycle. What has
been
interesting for us is the professional learning that has taken place from
following a lesson study cycle. It has been something of a pain for me to find
people to cover my colleague's classrooms so that we can watch each other
teach,  but the learning that is resulting has been wonderful and is so worth
the
effort! This started as a way for us to learn how to best teach comprehension
 strategies at the early childhood level but has evolved into a powerful
learning  experience.

The ah-hah's for me so far include:
1. The importance of narrowing your focus for the most effective
lessons...and carefully choosing your evaluation piece. I know this sounds like
 teaching
101...but until you experience what happens when you tighten up your  lesson
objective to what is essential and then have the opportunity  to plan and
replan the lesson to meet that objective, you can't imagine how  much you
improve
student learning.
2. The powerful impact of including Every Pupil Response techniques to
ensure engagement and understanding of the comprehension strategy.
3. How much trust is required to really make this work...it takes guts to
teach a lesson in front of colleagues and then tear it apart together to
determine what works and what doesn't. But a side benefit is the powerful
feeling
of community you get from taking this journey together. It is simply an
amazing professional development experience.  If you have a small island of
teachers at your school learning to teach strategies, this would be a  great
way for
you to support each other!
4, We are a little unusual because we are teaching the same strategies at
different grade levels...so part of how we refine the lesson revolves around
making the strategies approachable at K, 1 and 2. We are seeing a bigger
picture
 of how kids learn the comprehension strategies at different age levels.
5. I am also starting to see how this process can shape your own personal
vision for what you want for your students. I noticed that the levels of
interest and motivation decrease as the grade levels increase. What came into
sharp
focus for me was the importance of helping kids to stay motivated and
interested in reading...text selections, classroom furniture arrangements,
opportunities to turn and talk to classmates all seem to help build the level
of
engagement for kids...but now as I plan lessons, I am not just thinking about
objectives that will be on the state test, but the bigger picture...how to
create lifelong readers.

I have shared a little about how the salad lesson worked for us, but  really,
the impact comes not from having this product...this 'perfect' lesson...
that has been refined by teaching it over and over. The impact comes from the
process...the learning that comes from working together to a common goal.
Giving
 you the lesson plan isn't be the same as going through the process
yourselves.

I can't sell this technique enough to you all...it is just a great way to
become a better teacher. I haven't learned so much since I went through the
National Board process and we have only gone through one cycle. It is an
intensely personal form of staff development. Hope some of you find a colleague
 or
two to try it out ...

Oh...and by the way, if you haven't seen Tanny McGregor's book  Comprehension
Connections it is a must read! Her lessons are fantastic and very  motivating!
Jennifer
Maryland

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1