Hi Carol - If you can get a copy of the Nebraska-Iowa Primary Program, there's
a nice section on representation of knowledge.  Also, many materials from NAEYC
and the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, as well as work by
Selma Wasserman, will lead you to alternatives that show what children know and
are able to do, and how they represent that.  Bev