It is an issue we deal with in our district constantly--this idea of
teaching at a student's instructional level when it is far, far below their
ability to decode as well as their grade  level.  It is really hard to match
these students to texts without insulting them -- I hope that makes sense, I
mean in terms of content.  Clifford isn't cool.  One thought might be to
work with graphic novels, although you will have to be careful as the
content can be quite sophisticated with these.  There is a series of kitty
graphics, I want to say 2nd grade levelish and very pink, if she is that
sort of girl.  Maybe someone can help with that series.

Lori

On 2/12/08 5:39 PM, "K Dombroske" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for your feedback Lori. That was extremely helpful because I was not
> clear on one thing.  The student I have is definitely NOT comprehending
> written or oral text.  She can decode at the 4th grade level, yet she is not
> comprehending.  I need to pull out her DRA (this was my first experience with
> this assessment, which I value since it is so thorough) and really study the
> parts after the miscue analysis.  After analyzing the info, I'll see if I can
> give her a DRA at a lower level, but I think we only have down to 3rd grade.
> Thanks for bringing  this issue to my attention.  Maybe we need to be using
> lower level texts with her, maybe some early primary picture books,  and
> focusing more in depth on developing her comp strategies.  Thanks again.
> ~Kecia

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor
Todd County School District