.
In answer to your question:  I went from 15 years in 5th and 6th to middle
school.  I still use *Strategies That Work *2nd. ed. (Stephanie Harvey and
Anne Goudvis) with my 7th graders.  The projects occasionally have to be
matured, but the general idea doesn't.  My "intervention" group love picture
books, and so I use them a great deal to teach from.  I do use the basal
once in a blue moon.  There are some good Gary Soto stories in it.  They
connect to him easily, because we're in the part of Fresno he's referring to
in most of his writing.

I feel that the strategies can be overdone and stagnating.  We want the
strategies to become innate, and they will with time, practice, and
discussion. Once my GATE class shows me they have a handle on the reading, I
let them fly.  The grown up books manage to find their way into our Reader's
Workshop at that point.  I only use the strategies on an individual basis
during individual conferences, to support those who have a need in that
area.

I refer a lot to *Writing About Reading* by Janet Angellilo.  I really like
her questioning and discussion about novels. I like stuff by Nancie Atwell,
as always good, and Janet Allen is wonderful as well.

Some more good middle school age stuff, I have used:
*Tools for Thought: Graphic Organizers for Your Classroom* by Jim Burke

*Reading Reminders: Tools, Tips, and Techniques* by Jim Burke

If I had a million dollars, here's some of the list I'd invest in:
I* Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent
Readers* (Paperback)by Cris Tovani

*Reading Reasons: Motivational Mini-Lessons for Middle and High School
(*Paperback)
by Kelly Gallagher (Author)*
*
*Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12* by Kelly Gallagher

These are things I have used as I fine tuned my Workshops.  I have had a
rough year with curriculum.  I am a firm, hardened believer in the workshops
format for reading, writing, and history.  For the first time, our school
has started working with Data Teams that require both formative and
summative assessments' be analyzed three times a year.  Then we are supposed
use that data to focus on certain standards to bring up test scores.  Many
of you are dealing with this, I know.  I found myself literally throwing out
the umbrella plans I had meticulously made for the year to make room for
these "focus standards."  Needless to say, I have been beyond frustrated by
this.  SO what I am telling you comes from PAST experiences, certainly not
from this year's.

Nancy Akhaven *How to Align Literacy Instruction, Assessment, and Standards:
And Achieve Results You Never Dreamed Possible* was a writer that helped me
plan using the standards in a workshop format, without compromising my
values and STILL help the kids get the information they need to be
successful in testing.  I look forward to using her ideas more deeply next
year, as I refuse to give up what I feel is best for kids for the numbers
game anymore.  She works for our district now (hooray!) and I plan to her
get in my room soon to do some demos.

OK.  I'll get off my soapbox now...
--
Kim
-------

The best teachers teach from the heart, not from the book.  ~Author Unknown

[EMAIL PROTECTED]