This also happened with my 7th grade son. I just bought both Wimpy books
because it reminded me of a text he finally picked up and read on his own.
I would recommend, "The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" by
Sherman Alexie. It also has drawn comics since the main character is an
artist.
My son is required to read AR books at school. This is the first book he
has ever read on his own. When he's done, on to the Wimpy books.
For a professional read try Fletcher's, "Boy Writers".