Yesterday I attended a lecture by Donald Leu, "How Reading Comprehension Has
Changed While We Weren't Looking."

  I learned that online reading has some novel literacy skills; however, many
connected back to Ellin's work. Questioning is very important. Students must be
able to identify important questions because in order to do a search or analyze
the results they have to know what question they are trying to answer. They
must citically evaluate the usefullness of the information, or determine
importance. They must synthesize the information in order to answer their
questions. Finally, they must communicate what they learn to others. Dr. Leu
asserts that your create your own text with each click.

  The biggest problem he sees is that there is no correlation between state
reading tests and online reading. Evidently the US is way behind the rest of
the world in this respect. He showed us data that indicates that being able to
read online well is not correlated to high/low reading abilities, and that the
kids who tested poorly in traditional reading actually scored the highest for
online reading. He believes teaching online reading skills to the less able
readers is the way to go (rather than allowing students who finish first to go
online, he suggests starting the lowest readers online, and allowing them to
teach and scaffold their peers.)

  I join faculty, staff, and graduate students at NC State today for a lunch
discussion about the "New Literacies" today. I hope to learn more, and make
more connections. This is fascinating.

  Has anyone else had any experience with this? Do you see the things he
describes?

                Joy/NC/4
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  How children learn is as important as what they learn: process and content go
hand in hand. http://www.responsiveclassroom.org