Suzanne,
I love reading your thoughtful and thought provoking messages.  I also
love using literature circles for reading with my third graders and I
believe they help the children show the most progress on the DRA, while
developing lifelong readers.  Shouldn't that be the ultimate goal?

In my mind I think part of the problem with literature circles is that
some teachers have difficulty giving up the control of their reading
groups to children.  I don't mind admitting that at times the questions
the children design are better than my "back-up" questions, but you have
to be open to that.  Teaching with literature circles is not as linear
as teaching reading in a traditional guided reading format.  I also
think that some administrators may not understand that a "child run"
reading group with children creating the questions is a goal that we
struggle to achieve. I sometimes wonder if they even recognize "best"
practices themselves.  To see things from their point of view, I think
we all struggle to stay on top of all of the subjects we have to teach,
and the administrators must have the same challenge.

I would love to hear how you have moved beyond the roles.  I have had
the children create or tweak roles themselves.  I also have difficulty
assessing literature circles beyond anecdotal records and looking over
the assigned "roles" once they are completed.  If you would like to chat
about lit circles in a sidebar conversation email me off mosaic.

I find the direction/s education is taking confusing.  On one hand we
are told to differentiate to meet the needs of all learners while on the
other hand we are told to use a one-size-fits-all model to reach those
needs.  I don't think children should have a steady diet of any one way
of teaching reading when there are so many different approaches that you
could take.

Leslie

Leslie R. Stewart
Third Grade Teacher