Hello,
I am joining this conversation late, however I will be moving into a 3rd grade
classroom next year (from 2nd) and I am interested in learning more about
Literature Circles.
Can anyone recommend any titles of any professional resources that can teach me
all about them?
Thanks!Rosa> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 05:44:10 +0700> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] just right books?> >
Leslie, send me your email and I'll talk about this 'until the cows come home'.
It's my passion. > > > -----Original Message-----> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on
behalf of STEWART, L> Sent: Tue 4/29/2008 3:15 AM> To: Mosaic: A Reading
Comprehension Strategies Email Group> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] just right books?>
> Suzanne,> I love reading your thoughtful and thought provoking messages. I
also> love using literature circles for reading with my third graders and I>
believe they help the children show the most progress on the DRA, while>
developing lifelong readers. Shouldn't that be the ultimate goal?> > In my mind
I think part of the problem with literature circles is that> some teachers have
difficulty giving up the control of their reading> groups to children. I don't
mind admitting that at times the questions> the children design are better than
my "back-up" questions, but you have> to be open to that. Teaching with
literature circles is not as linear> as teaching reading in a traditional
guided reading format. I also> think that some administrators may not
understand that a "child run"> reading group with children creating the
questions is a goal that we> struggle to achieve. I sometimes wonder if they
even recognize "best"> practices themselves. To see things from their point of
view, I think> we all struggle to stay on top of all of the subjects we have to
teach,> and the administrators must have the same challenge.> > I would love to
hear how you have moved beyond the roles. I have had> the children create or
tweak roles themselves. I also have difficulty> assessing literature circles
beyond anecdotal records and looking over> the assigned "roles" once they are
completed. If you would like to chat> about lit circles in a sidebar
conversation email me off mosaic.> > I find the direction/s education is taking
confusing. On one hand we> are told to differentiate to meet the needs of all
learners while on the> other hand we are told to use a one-size-fits-all model
to reach those> needs. I don't think children should have a steady diet of any
one way> of teaching reading when there are so many different approaches that
you> could take. > > Leslie> > Leslie R. Stewart> Third Grade Teacher> John B.
Sliney Elementary School> 23 Eades Street> Branford, CT 06405> (203)481-5386
X310 FAX (203)483-0749> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > > > > > -----Original
Message-----> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
HERBERT> Suzanne> Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 10:44 AM> To: Mosaic: A
Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group; Mosaic: A> Reading Comprehension
Strategies Email Group> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] just right books?> > I am so
thankful to hear your thoughts, as I actually thought I was> going crazy. The
push is coming from the principal and all is being> based on the DRA and
reading continuums. We actually had Bonnie> Campbell Hill come and do workshops
here with us and she was fantastic,> and I loved what she said about Literature
circles in that it supported> all I had been doing and many others in the
school but let me give you a> picture of what is happening. Some teachers were
struggling with LIT> circles, I offered to run some professional development on
strategies in> the classroom, moving beyond the 'roles' and some of the older
thoughts> about how these run. The principal said no and the reason, 'she
didn't> want people to be overwhelmed as after all we are just starting with>
DRAs and levelled books'. Now, for me, the kids know their levels and> if you
look at their scores on a beginning DRA and the end DRA, sure> there has been
development and there would have been regardless of the> DRA.> It's the way I
teach reading I believe. I get 'guided reading' for> younger classes, I get it.
But, once your kids become really good,> independent readers aren't you doing
more of a 'lit circle' type thing.> I don't know but I agree with what you are
saying about levels. And> then, they are just pulling titles from everywhere,
not really matching> it up with units, trying to include fiction and non
ficiton and ordering> this all online. The emphasis on good practice seems to
be less> important than dotting the i and crossing the t. I was told yesterday>
by the language arts coordinator that I could not order books for guided>
reading that the kids had ever seen before. They had to be new texts to> the
students. Now, I have a rotating library of 100 books in my room> every two
weeks, where am I going to get titles the kids haven't seen,> or browsed
through. I've decided to just 'be quiet', do as I'm told and> do what I know to
do best, but to have these discussions with you a> n> d to listen to your
comments is just such good professional chat for> me. Thank you so much. I have
a friend who teaches in Armenia and she> just had a consultant in from the
STATES and it was ll the same thing,> DRA, levelled books, reading
continuums....and if you look at all the> big international schools in our
area, it's the same. But, I feel so> isolated not being able to talk to people
on a large scale about what> they are doing and how it is going. Thank you for
all the help. I> love hearing from you all. Suzanne> > > -----Original
Message-----> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Renee> Sent: Thu 4/24/2008
9:28 PM> To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group> Subject:
Re: [MOSAIC] just right books?> > I'm sure I will get some flack for this, but
in my opinion once a > student is reasonably adept at figuring out text,
worrying about > *levels* is silly, unless the student consistently chooses
books to > read that are way too easy or way too hard.> > I think it's real
easy to get nit-picky about these things. I remember > about ten years ago or
so, the Reading Recovery teacher at our school > saying that with a third
grader past a certain level (RR, maybe level > 17 or so) it was not necessary
to do running records anymore, and yet > these days it seems like people are
doing running records on sixth > graders at level bazillion. Why are we making
more work for ourselves? > For what reason?> > Renee> > On Apr 23, 2008, at
9:17 PM, HERBERT Suzanne wrote:> > > It would be great if there was some
feedback on this. We are > > levelling 40 percent of the books that we should
be using in the > > classroom for reading. I would assume that literature
circles and > > silent reading, the children will take their own choices. I
teach > > fourth graders, and out of my 18 kids, 15 are independent on DRA
Level> > > 50. So, I'm thinking, how essential is it to stick to 'levelled > >
books' if this is the case and why wouldn't you just encourage wider > >
reading and child choice? I haven't in the past been into 'exact' > > levels
for guided reading, somewhere in the 'range' and then lots of > > other reading
instruction. We're an international school, and a bit > > isolated in terms of
these types of conversations. At the moment we > > are just following
directions blindly but now all these types of > > questions are starting to be
asked. Any ideas/advice/thoughts greatly> > > appreciated and I so appreciate
the chance to speak with you all. > > Suzanne> > > "We are here to infiltrate
space with ideas."> ~ Ramtha> > > >