I think there are differences and similarities between guided reading and
literature circles.  To begin with, during GR the text is picked by the
teacher were as during literature circles I try to have the students have as
much say in what they read as possible.  But, after that I think the two are
very similar to one another.  During literature circles the teacher can
steer the discussion to topics/concepts that she feels are needed.  My
principal says that in the primary grades teachers use GR and in the
intermediate grades we should use literature circles.