I will chime in with Susan regarding the need for additional staff for
intervention.  Our district has chosen to see Tier 2 (additional instruction
for the struggling student) as the classroom teacher's role.  I feel that
perspective actually null and voids the whole intention of RtI.

In order to truly do this in a different and more effective way than we have in
the past the RtI model needs to include additional staff with EXPERTISE in
literacy  (knowledge of assessments and ability to diagnose and address
weaknesses).  At the middle school level I wish we could have this intervention
offered as an elective to those who qualify.

But alas right now our school counselors lead the RtI meetings and basically
teachers leave being told what else they need to do, despite the fact that they
went in saying "this child needs additional help that I can not provide in the
regular classroom".  I see teachers no longer seeking help for these students.

Sadly this new model, which was supposed to improve services for the struggling
learner is actually going to hinder that process.  IMHO Gina