Congrats...sounds like a dream job! Keep us posted next year, would love how to
hear how they got to that point!
Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: chris and teresa casart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 9:31 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] I got a job!

A little bit more...

- 4th grade
- 21 students
- one visually impaired student, which made me nervous for about 3 seconds,
until I remembered that reading strategies work whether you read with your
eyes or your fingers
- 20-25% ESL or ELL population - Latino and Sudanese
- focus on teaching comprehension strategies (integrated cross-curricular)
- many teachers are studying and implementing the structure laid out in The
Daily 5
- strong emphasis on writing workshop
- professional learning communities of teachers studying together, working
toward a common goal
- lots of data collection for a practical purpose - guiding instruction
- my classroom is NOT in a portable  =)
- a sink, yes, a sink, in my room!!!
- block scheduling, with only ONE rotating special scheduled for the same 45
minute time slot each day (a BIG change from my last job, where I had to
carry my schedule around with me at all times because it was so confusing -
too much running around all over the school every day)
- a dynamic principal - curriculum driven
- language liaisons for the Latino and Sudanese families (most students
speak English, but their parents might not)
- three other fabulous 4th grade teachers with whom I will collaborate
- a 10 minute commute
- my day starts at 8:30 and ends at 4:05...no more leaving the house at AM!

"It's all good."

Teresa