I am up in Butte County. I live in Magalia, which is currently
surrounded by fire and is just about 15 miles east and north of Chico.
I lived in San Jose for most of my life and taught there for ten years
before moving up here.

It's always nice to hear from someone else in California. :-)
Renee

On Jul 7, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Stephanie Sanchez wrote:

> Richmond (Bay Area)  in the house! haha...yeah Richmond. Where are you?
>
> Renee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Stephanie,
> Where are you in California?
> Renee
> (Northern California here)
>
> On Jul 7, 2008, at 8:41 AM, Stephanie Sanchez wrote:
>
>> I do agree with part of what you wrote below. Children do need to hear
>> their teachers model the language and point out words within context,
>> however there are populations of children that need explicit
>> vocabulary in isolation.
>>
>> For instance, my school in California is made of 75% English Language
>> Learners. Most are directly here from Mexico with little or no
>> knowledge of the English language. When reading, there is no context
>> due to so many unknown words. Meaning simple gets completely lost with
>> no ability to use all vocabulary strategies that we teach.
>>
>> In the case of the teacher's picture strategy your mentioned for the
>> Daily 5 list serv, this would be awesome and well worth the time to
>> spend with my children so that they can be independent readers.They
>> need exposure and visuals so that they can grasp them and use them in
>> class since most likely they will not hear these words being
>> reinforced at home.  However, if the population she is teaching
>> already know the English language, I could see this being a waste of
>> precious time that could be used to dive deeper into reading. But for
>> my population, I am extremely excited to use this strategy and find it
>> highly effective!
>>
>> :) Stephanie
>> 3rd grade/CA
>>
>> "Waingort Jimenez, Elisa"  wrote: Hi Beverlee,
>> I had saved this post to respond to at a later time but never intended
>> to wait a month, as it turns out, to do so.  However, given a recent
>> conversation on the Daily5 listserv it is more appropriate that I am
>> responding now.
>>
>> There has been a thread on word walls over the last few days on the
>> Daily 5 listserv.  One teacher, specifically, has been describing how
>> she does picture word walls with her students.  The teacher chooses 15
>> words a week from a current reading selection (seems a lot to me) and
>> over a period of 2 - 3 days (seems a long time to spend on somewhat
>> isolated vocabulary instruction) illustrates the meanings of the words
>> while the kids copy her illustrations or create their own as a memory
>> piece for the meaning of the word.  The teacher's illustration, I
>> think, goes on the word wall and the children have a vocabulary folder
>> or notebook into which they insert their week's word pictures.
>> Although, on face value this seems like a worthwhile way to remember
>> vocabulary it seems that an inordinate amount of isolated time is
>> being spent on words to the detriment of the same amount of time being
>> used to read independently.  All of the reviews of the research that
>> I've read say that
>>  extensive reading is what produces high levels of vocabulary
> [...]
"Holding a grudge is like eating rat poison and then
waiting for the rat to die." ~ Anne Lamott