Ginger
I can't resist jumping in here...

When you explictly teach children how to listen to each other and how to
respond to each other you are setting up the climate for intellectual
engagement
that Ellin describes so eloquently in To Understand.
Ellin describes the conditions needed for understanding and one of them is
conversation with others.   I teach "turn and talk" in a similar  fashion...I
think I learned how from a previous post and also from the  Comprehension
Toolkit....which is a really good resource for newbies by the  way!

I plan to take this one simple but important step further next fall  and
integrate in my modeling some time to think. I will directly talk to  the kids
about the importance of silence and time to think as well as the time  to
converse with others. we'll talk specifically about what we  understand AFTER
some
time to think and turn and talk that we didn't  understand without doing those
things. I will be making an  anchor Chart showing not just what the literacy
time should look like  and sound like but a second chart with showing what we
learn about  understanding.
SOOO glad to have you back on the listserv...
Jennifer

In a message dated 7/10/2008 11:35:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,