This is true in my little corner of the world as well.... to an extent.
I say "to an extent" because frankly I haven't seen a whole heck of a
lot of evidence of instruction that is out of the box.  Interestingly,
a good number of teachers "teach to the program" and the district chose
Saxon Math for the second time in a row (ick ick ick ick) but as far as
I know nobody's neck is breathed down and I know at least one teacher
who says she didn't use it before and won't use it now. Plus, in more
than one conversation with my principal last year we discussed
"fidelity to the program" vs "fidelity to the standards" and "fidelity
to the students" but with all that..... there is a rubric for teacher
evaluations, and in that rubric, teachers supposedly get a higher score
if they supplement programs appropriately vs sticking to the program.
So go figure.

Renee

On Sep 1, 2008, at 3:47 PM, Beverlee Paul wrote:

> Okay, I'm going to have to reply to my reply because I read my reply
> :-) and it's unclear the way I wrote it--my reply :-).  I mean that I
> have the survivor's guilt because IN MY LITTLE CORNER OF THE WORLD we
> still have professional judgment and can use it, for however pitifully
> long we can hold out.
>
>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
>> Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 15:26:31 -0600> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Small
>> Group Instruction> > I'm starting to have a hard time continuing to
>> read these list serves I've been reading this summer. I feel so badly
>> for so many of you. If we have anything left to save in public
>> education by the time this "phase" is through, I'll be surprised. At
>> a time when new thinking is pushing into the profession, the
>> teachers' hands are increasingly tied and they are unable to use the
>> new knowledge. I'm having enormous difficulty remaining hopeful
>> listening to your trials; I can't imagine how you must feel. I am so,
>> so sorry this is what has happened to probably nearly all of us. I
>> think I also have a little "survivor's guilt" because if we just
>> ignore the RtI-ers, we are able to teach in the way we see is best
>> for our kids. :-(
> mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect
Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the
common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings
of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this
Constitution for the United States of America."