From: Carol Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 7:32 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Small Group Instruction

I have been waiting to post this, but now seems like the right time.

When I came to my current, I was thrilled--their articulated
curriculum was reading strategies with specific genres for each grade
level. In grades K-3 there was a basal, but it was used differently
in each of our buildings. Reading and writing workshop were used in
all buildings.The biggest problem was that intermediate teachers
could really do what they wanted because there was a lack of direction.

WE adopted 6 traits the first year I was in my position.

I thought I could provide that direction. Together with a language
arts committee, we refined expectations; we gave meat to what
teaching the strategies meant. We moved away from whole class novels.
We created book rooms so teachers could provide guided reading when
appropriate. I purchased the comprehension toolkit for every 3-6
grade teacher. Together with the Great Source Daybooks, these
materials helped teachers explicitly teach strategies and gave
students opportunities to practice their strategies. I felt we were
making progress.

However, last year we had a new board--they wanted differentiation.
They COULD NOT be persuaded that the language arts curriculum WAS
differentiated. Two consultants pointed out our strengths, but the
board didn't see it that way. There was inconsistency, but the
complaints came from parents whose children attended those schools
were whole class novels were more the norm than not. So, the whole
district is suffering.

For this year, a language arts task force is being created to "look
at materials for teaching reading." In speaking with the outside
consultant who was hired, it is obvious he feels a basal meets the
needs of the TEACHERS. He says it equalizies instruction--never mind
that it might not be the best instruction.

An "enrichment coordinator" was also hired for this year. Now, he is
pulling out students for William and Mary curriculum. He's also told
me that a basal will help teachers identify specific goals and
objectives. Yet, in the junior high where we are using a completely
new anthology, he wants teachers to go through the anthology to
identify goals so that differentiation can occur. I don't know how he
expects teachers to find the time to teach--they will be doing so
much assessment in order to identify those who need the
differentiation!!!

For the first year in my entire career, I dread going to work, and
it's only the first week!!! This will be my last year because my
position is being eliminated to make room for enrichment teachers.
I'm trying hard not to be bitter and disappointed, but it's so hard.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustration at this move away from best
practice to a "BASAL."

Carol