Saxon Math definitely does not teach math understanding. And I find the
following statement...

>> the head of the math said, if the
>> students don't understand it, "Just move on."

... to be ...... well, I'm just speechless. I have nothing to say
except that in about 20 years this country is going to be in deep doo
doo.  Again.

Renee

On Sep 17, 2008, at 7:15 AM, Beverlee Paul wrote:

> So then is Everyday Math akin to Saxon Math - a mile wide and an inch
> deep?
> What programs are there out there now that actually teach math
> understanding?
>
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:00 AM, Storti, Donna
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> We have the HM program as well.  I took the stories and assigned a
>> strategy to go with each one.  I am using it as a shared reading.  The
>> class can use the anthology if they choose to during free reading time
>> if they want to reread the story.  I am sorry to hear about Envisions,
>> it looked like a good program, we are using Everyday Math and the
>> children who struggle with math get lost in the tornado (that's what
>> we
>> call the spiral).
>>
>> Donna

"Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your
own. You may both be wrong."
~ Dandemis