Greetings!

I think it's extremely important to clarify what you all must already know.
. . Speaking only for myself, I have never consulted with nor advised
Houghton Mifflin or any other basal series publisher on any aspect of their
programs.  I have found that the traditional scope and sequence provided in
such programs is NOT conducive to in-depth study of the comprehension
strategies and may actually serve to confuse children because the "pacing
guide" suggests moving to a new strategy far too soon-really before children
have learned the language surrounding the strategy.  It's confusing because
they don't know which strategy they're learning and what language goes with
which strategy.  Please feel free to share my statement with anyone who may
need clarification on this point.

Very best to you all,

ellin keene

Dear Colleagues:

I was at a presentation where a Literacy Coach made this statement "

Houghton Mifflin is based on the work of Ellin Keene and Stephanie Harvey. I

was so taken back that I did not respond. Several of us present did exchange

looks of surprise. What is the collective response to this statement?

Thank you.

Jeanette Hayden

Anchorage School District