Jan,

I am now working in a district that has not had students work independently
- in a writersworkshop mode or a reading workshop. I am trying to put it in
place.

The parameters need to be clear on the onset, as to your  expectations as
they conduct peer conferences while you conference.  I use  a peer conference
form and remind them that both individuals need the form  completed
thoughtfully
prior to the end of their meeting.  I often show a  sample of the completed
form on a smart board so that it is a constant visual  reminder.

There also is a lot to be said for giving praise for appropriate  behavior.
I remember hearing Lucy Calkins make a big deal saying very  loudly - Wow!  I
really love what you are doing!  Does everyone see  how __________ is
____________ (task).

As another form of support, I post a "I am an Expert at" Board - using
post-its.  If a student shows good abilitiy to grab the concept of using
post-its
during reading - I will make them a Post-It expert - so other students  go to
him / her with questions of this concept.

I have found that conferencing should be done within earshot of  other
students.  Many like to "listen in" and pick up ideas that they  otherwise
would
have missed.  They also get to closely see the dynamics of  the interactions so
that they may apply it to their own meeting.  Although  the background noise
can be distracting, with some direct focus on the person  you are speaking to,
it works.

Although I may be within earshot, the majority of the students are in  front
of me so that I can quickly look over the classroom to insure that they  are
on task. There have been times, to get the message across, that I have asked  a
student who is "eves dropping" my conversation to walk over to a group that
is  off task and remind them to refocus. This solidifies the importance that I
place  on my conference.

Lastly, make sure they have options.  It is possible that they could  get
everything done that you had expected during that time frame.  Post a  list of
"Options" on the board - independent reading, going  online to a  specific
website, etc. to eliminate excuses.

Good luck!

Kristine

I do drop in on students because then my body is in different places in the
classroom not just in one.  Often, if a table group is not as focused as it
should be I conference with someone at that table.  Also, I like the idea  that
others may eavesdrop on the teaching point.
This year I have 5  students out of 20 who have a hard time reading the whole
40 minutes of  independent reading time.  I teach 3rd grade.  I let them move
to the  floor and read stretched out if they want to.  I also, visit them in
between guided reading groups or conferences and remind them that they can
write  their thoughts and ideas in their reader's notebook, then continue
reading.  I have also had one sit near the guided reading table while I am
with a
group.  I do check their book boxes to make sure there are books at  their
independent and instructional level so they can be reading.  The  students
change
books in their book boxes about once a week (or every other week  if they
have 2-3 chapter books).  After guided reading, those books go into  their book
boxes too.
Jan
We must view young people not as empty  bottles to be filled, but as candles
to be lit.
-Robert Shaffer