I develop a peer conference form off of the rubric the students are using for a
particular study.  It basically has two parts, "What I liked about the
Writing," and "Opportunities to make it even better."  They share their writing
with each other and then itemize a specific "Plan of Action," and then both
sign the form.  This has to be consistent with the rubric.  For example, if the
rubric indicates use of multi-sensory description, then they might comment, "I
like how you used "________," when you described ________.  For Opportunities
to make it even better, a comment might be, "You may want to think about
additional description when you write about ___________. "

To keep the classroom as student centered as possible and reinforce that we all
learn from each other, I keep an "Expert" board on one of the bulletin boards.
During writing conferences, when it is evident that a particular student has a
wonderful understanding of either a skill or concept, they can be considered an
expert.  That category is posted and there name is placed on a post-it under
that category.  I have used this both with individuals who have excellent
computer skills such as developing a powerpoint presentation or an element of
writing - such as using flashback in their piece.  If an individual then asks
me how to do a powerpoint, I would direct them to the expert board and they in
turn would ask the "expert."  If a student wanted to use a flashback when
writing a memoir, they would go to the expert board and see who had
successfully incorporated flashback into their writing and then conference with
that "expert."

I hope that helps!

Kristine

In a message dated 09/21/08 22:40:24 Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]