Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] 4th g Can't get started on writing tasks
       (ASPERGER'S)
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
       <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>

Jenn,

Just to add to your possible bag of tricks....
Try a journalling technique... Once you have given your prompt or theme to
begin with, provide think time - I use a timer. Then give them share time -
again with a timer. Then timed think time, followed by writing - notes or
sentences - (audience is only the writer at this time). Take a cue from the
students for how long this should be - then do the share, think, write
series over.again if needed. This gets some ideas down without the
expectation of it being perfected - or even good enough for someone else to
see. I have even had kids that use the write time for drawing (love those
visual learners!) And if your student doesn't like to share with another
person, let them share it with the wall or a chair - it's getting the idea
voiced that is most helpful. If they are willing and can share with another
person, they get that opportunity for input and feedback - as well as
seeing/hearing/sharing with someone else going through the process. I have
used this many times for restating/processing concepts I wanted to check
progress on for soc.studies, science and reading most often - using learning
journals.

Beth

Jenn,

Visualizing and vocalizing are very effective techniques, so it's no wonder
that your students are doing so well. Regarding your student who needs to
find what works for her for getting started, I have a couple of suggestions,
but they can either be the best or worst ideas for this particular case.
First idea addresses the perfectionism - Have this student do two or
three "Quick starts" and then choose which one she wants to develop into the
full paper. Idea two addresses the need for some students to have their own
routine, similar to establishing a bedtime ritual - Have this student
develop the habit of making a quick outline, and then continue writing
according to the outlined plan. If those ideas don't work, please keep
seeking other ideas. Something will work.

Kare

Jenn wrote: I have a student who doesn't exactly fit the usual profile at my
office.
Once she gets started she does write fairly well but getting her started is
IMPOSSIBLE. I think there is a component of perfectionism and some
embarrassment when she doesn't start off like  the rest of the crowd.