Felicia,

My second language learners lack expressive vocabulary more than they
lack background knowledge. I give them a word bank of possible answers
and spend most of any given lesson on vocabulary, or so it seems to
me, lol. Would it work to have those students first draw a quick
picture of the connection which they make and then use the picture to
support their verbal answer?

Kare

Felicia wrote:3 out of the 5 are second language learners.  I think
one of the reasons they make literal connections is because they lack
the background knowledge.