I agree with Lori, she could do a read aloud about the first day of school
(First Day Jitters) and let them connect how they felt on the first day of
school.  Make sure that they actually have something they can connect to.
She could even try to find a book that fits their cultural background, I am
sure their ideas will start to spark if the book lends itself to what they
are familiar with.  Also, has she done just basic background knowledge
lessons?  Showing pictures of dogs, reading about dogs,talking about dogs,
do they have dogs?  I know that sounds so simplistic, but sometimes we have
to remember that our students do not all come to us with the experiences and
background knowledge that we think is common knowledge.

EK

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 7:12 AM, ljackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can she set them up for connections?  I am thinking of creating a
> experience
> bank and following it by a book that could easily draw the two together.
> Schema building followed by Schema Application.
>
> Lori
>

> On 9/29/08 9:09 PM, "Felicia Barra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> > I'm hoping you can help me help a friend.  She is piloting a new balanced
> > literacy program that includes reading workshop.  She is finding her
> lowest
> > students have trouble making connections.  Any connection that they make
> is
> > very literal.  Instead of using text, she thought she might start with
> > pictures.  She thought she would show a picture of her son playing
> soccer.
> > I suggested that she tell her students "this is a picture of my son doing
> > something that he likes to do.  What do you like to do?".  She also
> thought
> > she would show a picture of a celebration such as a birthday and ask them
> > make connections.  Is she on the right track with these students?  3 out
> of
> > the 5 are second language learners.  I think one of the reasons they make
> > literal connections is because they lack the background knowledge.  How
> do
> > you build that?  Is there something she should read?  TIA for your help
> and
> > consideration.
> >
> > Felicia

> > Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.
> >

> --
> Lori Jackson
> District Literacy Coach & Mentor
> Todd County School District
> Box 87
> Mission SD  57555
>
> http:www.tcsdk12.org
> ph. 605.856.2211
>

> Literacies for All Summer Institute
> July 17-20. 2008
> Tucson, Arizona

Elisa M. Kifer
Third Grade Literacy Teacher
Fox Meadow Elementary

"Love of reading and writing is not taught, it is created.
Love of reading and writing is not required, it is inspired.
Love of reading and writing is not demanded, it is exemplified.
Love of reading and writing, is not exacted, it is quickened.
Love of reading and writing is not solicited, it is activated."
-Russell Stauffer, 1980