Great questions here! I think that there are times when an interactive read
aloud is a lesson and it's not usually a mini-lesson if you have students
sharing with each other.

I'd love to share what one of our fourth grade teachers in my building is doing
with an interactive read aloud. She does the interactive read aloud during one
reading block with a focus question/objective in mind. The focus question lines
up with our CMT strands (state test). She clearly states what the
objective/focus is and explicitly models through think aloud and then let's the
students share their thinking. She then will follow with daily mini-lessons
that are related to the focus question.

When she used the book "Stripes" it was the beginning of a unit on character
development. She focused on what were the character's feelings, how did they
change, at what event did they change etc. Then she furthered their thinking by
having them practice this in guided groups and finally apply it to their
independent reading books.

She has set her purpose and purposefully planned how to transfer this
information and learning to independent learning. It has transformed her
teaching and her students can clearly see the connections. It's brilliant.
Kelly AB

I think the only answer to
your dilemma are some other questions.  What is your purpose?  What do you
need to transfer?  Is there something to be gained by reading an entire
read-aloud at that time which couldn't be gained another way?