Jennifer,
I observed one fifth grade guided reading group that was reading A Boy at War, A novel of Pearl Harbor. From that short observation I would want to concentrate on the words in the other language (I think Hawaiian). Some of them are important to the theme of the story. Students should also know how to use context clues to figure out unknown vocabulary. The author does tell what the words mean through the context clues. I would also help the students with background knowledge. The group of kids I observed didn't have much background knowledge of Pearl Harbor. They also needed help on keeping the characters straight. Text to self connections may also be helpful. The kids may not have much knowledge about Pearl Harbor, but maybe they experienced discrimination or bullying similar to what the main character has to go through.

Barb

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jennifer Olimpieri" <ojen...@sbcglobal.net> To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group" <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 4:25 AM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] book study

Thank you a for all of your responses. However, I feel that maybe I wasn't specific enough. These groups will be teacher directed and I am not looking for jobs per se. I wanted to find an online resource that would maybe focus on the theme of the story providing me with vocabulary and comprehension questions for each group. Im not sure if this even exists but if anyone has one, I would greatly appreciate it!