I have teachers I work with that ask the same question.

I have a very non traditional classroom set-up.  I have two full set of
couches with a couch and a love seat.  They form a rectangle from about a
third of the room facing the far wall of my room.   It is the "living room"
area in the room. I have one wall of 7 foot bookshelves (library).  Tables
are laid out pretty traditionally in the other 2/3 of the room (work area).

ALL my mini-lessons, read-alouds, and sharing are done in the couch area.  I
bring my 7th graders closer to me for lots of reasons.  First, I don't like
the barrier that the tables form between the kids and I.  Nor do I like the
distraction of the backpacks and the things they play with on or under the
table.  I like the kids to be able to make eye contact with each other and
with me.  I like to know they are able to see and hear one another, as well
as I can see and hear them.  It's almost a family feel.  Being close
encourages communication.

What I think you saw had less to do with the classroom set-up as it did with
less developed management skills on the teacher's part.  If community norms
(expectations) aren't established from the very beginning and constantly
reinforced, then yes, you have behavior problems, regardless of how the kids
are arranged.  I tell my kids to settle down and get quiet, too.  We all
do.  But on the whole, I have very few behavior problems.  But we have lots
of pair-share, group share, discussion moments, rich discussions, and
outrageous laughs.

I hope that answers the question.
Kim

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:34 PM, <wr...@att.net> wrote:

> I visited four different classes in one middle school today.  They were all
> writing workshop.  I thought I'd see two reading workshops and two writing
> workshops.
>
> The school has been doing writing workshop for three years.  A very few
> teachers are doing reading workshop in this building.
>
> I heard the literacy coach say that the Lucy Calkins model is to start with
> writing workshop.  Is that what you all think should happen?  If so, why?
>
> What is the purpose of having the students come in close instead of staying
> in their regular seats?  In some classes, it seemed as if the closeness only
> encouraged misbehavior.
>
> I'm sure I'll have more questions as I think more about what I saw today.
> Jan

Kim
-------
Kimberlee Hannan
7th CORE-ELA & WH
Sequoia Middle School
Fresno, California 93702

The best teachers teach from the heart, not from the book.  ~Author Unknown

mrshannan...@gmail.com