I think it is wonderful that our district recognized that centers will work for
some (though they never worked for me, to be honest) and that others are far
more able/comfortable with a pure workshop (that would be me).  Ginger's advice
about using some tasks for kids getting used to gathering for guided reading
while using teacher energy to help shape the behavior of the other kids--true
regardless of whether you are a center or workshop based teacher.  When I work
with teachers practicing venter-based instruction, we focus on the nature of
the centers.  Are activities truly open ended and do they really leverage
genuine reading and writing--as opposed to busy work? A teacher I much admired
once told me her best centers were just workshop in disguise.

As I am working with teachers who are perplexed about moving kids along, I
often (not always) find that record keeping is not thorough and ongoing, so I
generally focus there. Most teachers at the primary level willing take running
records but often they fail to reflect or analyze. It is not so much that we
expect the m-s-v reading recovery type of analysis but more that we look for
evidence of teacher reflection--what is kid doing?  What about those cool
things that kids do that escape the running record--like I saw a kid last week
pause at bold faced print (term: guide dog) and reference a photo and caption
to clarify what a guide dog does. Way smart--my notation was something
like"Questions meaning on familiar words, checks NF text features to support
meaning making." I help teachers see that the importance of record keeping is
to build pictures of readers across time.  With our strugglers at the earliest
levels, I show teachers some of Clay's insider tricks--cut up sentences,
writing extension, etc.

I can identify with your coach.  In addition to district responsibilities, I
work with two schools. I focus first on new teachers, then on teachers of
concern. In one school, I can easily work with all teachers. In my other
school, there are 17 classrooms as compared with ten and far more concerns.  It
is not an easy job and I often chastise myself for neglecting the able teachers
who are driven to learn.

Lori Jackson