A quick response to Elisa and Jennifer's posts about the purpose of the list
serv.  I certainly agree with the original, stated purposes (there's a big
surprise, eh?) for the list serv, but with respect to the scripted programs
discussion, I do think that the discussion is related to strategy
instruction in a most critical way.  These programs eat up every minute of
time that might otherwise be directed to more relevant, timely instruction
for kids, including comprehension strategy instruction.  In addition, there
are now programs that script comprehension strategy instruction and I feel
that we must be able to articulate the research and theory (as I stated in
my earlier post) in order to stave off purchase of these programs.  While it
may not be useful to merely bemoan the use of the programs, it might be very
useful for people to share what they know about the research (as Nancy did
today) to help others combat these trends.

It also occurs to me that comprehension instruction is embedded in a much
larger context of literacy instruction in all six systems and that people
are struggling with how/when to fit it all in.  This, again, is why I wrote
To Understand - to try to show the balance we need to strike between
comprehension instruction and instruction in word learning, fluency and
syntax.  It makes sense to me that one of your lines of inquiry on this list
might follow that question - what is the proper balance between
comprehension instruction and word/sentence level learning.  That said, I
agree with Jennifer that the discussions of your classroom experiences in
comprehension are so helpful and I always learn from them - so thank you for
that!!!

ellin

Elisa

Thank you. You are right.

I know you are reflecting the views of many since my mailbox is filling
with

off-list pleas to bring the list back to a discussion of comprehension.

I know the discussion we've been having is important and I don't want to

"censor" anyone...but I would like us as a group to reflect upon the purpose
we

were created for...

If you go to the Mosaic home page, this is what you will find:

<<The idea  for this group was born out of the teachers taking the journey

through this  instructional paradigm. Wanting to jump right in and get
started,

but often  feeling unsure and alone, we wanted a forum to share our
questions,

our joys,  our successes, and our frustrations. Reading the book, Mosaic of

Thought, (or any of the other books mentioned above) will  strengthen your

connection to our conversations.

Some of the most  powerful emails have been when members reflect openly on

the email group about  their teaching. Being reflective ?outloud? on the
list

is one way to grow  professionally. Try taking the risk to tell us
specifically

what you are doing.  Talk with us about how you feel the teaching  went and

what you plan to do next. When we share our own thinking  (just like we are

asking our students to do) we often move to a new level of  clarity and

understanding.

Here are the focus  points we welcome discussion about:

    *   comprehension  strategy instruction

    *   questions about  implementation

    *   action research  conducted by teachers based on experiences in

strategy teaching

    *   reading  workshop

    *   authentic  assessment

    *   strategy  instruction as it relates to high stakes testing

    *   professional  reading suggestions/reflections to continue our

learning process

    *   lesson write  ups/book suggestions

    *   online book  talks related to comprehension teaching

We are looking  forward to an active, stimulating, and supportive discussion

with you on these  topics! Remember- no question is too simple to ask.>>

I appreciate the respectful tone the discussions  take...but I am thinking
at

this point, we might want to consider the reason we  all came to Mosaic was

to discuss comprehension.

Maybe  it is time we get back to  that...

Jennifer

List moderator

In a message dated 2/20/2009 8:46:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

elwaingor...@cbe.ab.ca writes:

What is  interesting to me about this whole thread and sub thread is how far

away they  have taken us from talk of comprehension and strategy
instruction.

 Again, we are being led astray to discuss things that don't add anything of

value to the purpose for which the Mosaic list was established.

Elisa