Jan
No...she isn't ELL. She was also tested for a possible language disability
by the speech pathologist and there was a 'weakness' but no disability as far
as  receptive and expressive language.
Response starters are a good idea...and they help some, but sometimes she
will give a "when" answer to a "why" question...

Her decoding level is on grade level (2nd)or above...her comprehension  level
is well below.
She is a bit young for second grade...and there are some maturity issues so
it may just be her language is developing slowly...but I want to see if I can
help her to learn how to think through questions as a genre...
Jennifer

In a message dated 2/21/2009 11:50:11 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,