Good comments, Nancy.  I was not aware of the two teacher in the classroom
requirement.  Does any classroom have this for long??  It would make sense that
the kids do better or respond better with two adults in the classroom than just
one.  And, I think doing DI in a classroom of children who have been exposed to
teaching and learning that promotes questioning would be interesting.  Has
there been follow-up research done to the 40-year old study?
Elisa

Elisa Waingort
Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
Dalhousie Elementary
Calgary, Canada

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt within the heart.
—Helen Keller

Visit my blog, A Teacher's Ruminations, and post a message.
http://waingortgrade2spanishbilingual.blogspot.com/

Elisa,
    As you probably know, research with children is  "messy." The outstanding
mess I see with DI research is something I also  observed in DI schools. In
order to implement the DI program correctly, there  must be two adults in the
classroom. This is described in the Follow  Through Research and was a huge eye
opener for me.   I think that  is a major factor and something I am seeing
with my own class this year with two  teachers. What a difference I see between
how my class behaves with two of us in  the morning and one of us in the
afternoon!  I would like to see the DI  research done with one teacher ( no
aide) ,
or balanced literacy research  done with two teachers or a teacher and a
trained aide. Then come to me and show  me the numbers. There are also some
philosophy issues like compliance. How would  DI work in a classroom of
independent
thinkers who were taught to question  authority and allowed to move about the
classroom? Just a couple of things that  hit me in the head like a ton of
bricks.

Nancy
**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)