Oh my!
I just had my annual Poetry Night at our local Barnes and Noble
bookstore.
First, don't wait until April to do poetry.  I love poetry because there
is NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWER and it can be a great comprehension tool!  I
teach first grade and I have a WIDE range of ability levels and poetry
makes everyone equal.
My poetry program..
1.  I send home poems beginning the second week of school for students
to keep at home
    and memorize.
2.  During the year I select poems and I copy them and put them on the
overhead and we
    use these poems to try to determine what do you think the author
meant by this or
    that, based on this poem can you imagine who the author might be,
etc. I've gotten
    some great discussions from this activity that led to COMPREHENSION
DISCUSSIONS!
3.  Four years ago I went to the local Barnes and Noble and ask them if
my class and
    their parents can have an evening where they come and recite the
some of the poems I
    sent home and some of the poems they wrote during the year.
4.  This  evening has been one of the highlights of the year every year.
    I  wrote a script and I select one girl and one boy to be like the
MCs.
    I work it out where each students gets 3 times at the mike.  Once as
a group and two
    times as an individual.
5.  To get the students excited about poetry I introduce poetry using
Regi Routman's
    poetry book and then we eat snickers candy bars and we write poetry
about the
    experience. We do the same for Pepperidge Farm goldfish.
6.  During poetry night after we finish our snickers and goldfish poems
we give each
    parent a goody bag containing a book of all the poems that I have
made at Office Max
    and we give each parent a bag of goldfish and a snack size Snickers
bar.  Then we
    recite at least one poem that they wrote on their own.
7.  I have all my students wear white shirts and blue jeans and I buy
each student a
    black cap with I (heart) poetry on the front in white letters.
8.  I video tape the evening and I burn a DVD for all the parents that
is given to them
    at our district Portfolio Night.

9.  NO  YOU  DON'T  HAVE  TO  SPEND  ALL  THE  MONEY  I  DID.
    You can do the same thing FREE!  The most important thing to
remember that you should do poetry all year long and tie it into your
reading so it just becomes a part of the curriculum.  DON'T FORGET THAT
POETRY CAN BE A POWERFUL COMPREHENSION TOOL.!
Get Regie's book because it is an easy read and it will give