I have a few questions.
What smart questions you asked! I'm not sure I can answer them all, but will
try.
#1 - I think the amount of time that the DF lasts in your room depends on the
time constraints that you must live with in your building/district. To have the
amount of time that they refer to would be great, but often is not reality. So
I think you make do with what you have.
#2 This question is a really good one. If you have done a comprehension
mini-lesson, I would assume you would want the students to be utilizing it and
practicing that strategy. As far as word work, perhaps until you have taught
them the current lesson they are practicing what they have been taught prior to.
#3 I think you leave them there as long as children are benefiting from them.
They need the practice of old skills, but can get bored easily too. I'm not
sure I'm answering your question well here.
#4 As a literacy coach, I have had teachers assign the  students where to go to
start out. The teachers have then decided to allow them more choice or continue
to guide them depending on the grade level and make up of the class.
#5 Again this is an concern that you may or may not have as a teacher. Some
options are to have the kids check in at the various "stations" with a sign in
sheet, or have a checklist that they have in a folder. I think it depends on
what your grade level is, and how you are intending on monitoring their work.
If you are doing guided reading during this time, I'm thinking that you are
very busy with planning for that and may want to keep the monitoring to a
minimum.
With anything new that you are exploring in your classroom, you need to adjust
it to fit the needs of your students, and at the same time make it manageable
for yourself. I by no means am saying throw away all the wonderful advise in
the books, but reality is what it's all about.
Keep up the incredible thinking!
Kelly AB