From: cnjpal...@aol.com
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Sent: Wed, Jun 24, 2009 4:36 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Running Record/Reading Level Question(s)

Jane
Sure. It has been a while and I hope I remember accurately... those of you who use DRA, pipe up if you see I mischaracterize the DRA. We thought the text was
more interesting and better quality in F and P. We liked the idea of
comprehension conversations scored with a rubric rather than firing questions at kids or asking for a retelling. It seemed to mirror what we want to be going on in classrooms and was a more natural way to assess comprehension. We liked the?optional writing piece?(or drawing in the early levels) as a way to get at?understanding of text in a different way.?We liked the additional resources that came with the kits...an example- a guide for teachers that shows what the characteristics of kids are at particular levels and what teaching next steps might be. There are great staff development videos that teachers can watch to learn how to use the kit. There are dozens and dozens of different supplementary assessements like phonemic awareness, sight words, vocabulary knowledge etc etc.? It has a calculator which is a timer. You press a button when a child starts reading and then one when she stops. Enter the running words, number of errors and self corrections and the calculator will spit out percentages, self
correction rates and words correct per minute.
And... if I remember correctly, it is cheaper.
Jennifer

Jennifer, Can you compare the Fountas and Pinnell  kit to DRA2?
Thanks!  Jane in SC  :-)  (The state with the  runaway Governor!)
grill. (http://food.aol.com/grilling?ncid=emlcntusfood00000004)