Hi
I think that the first question you have to get an answer for, Angela, is
what is the purpose for taking running records? Are you finding appropriate
reading levels for instruction? If your school is using it in a formative
way,  then it doesn't really matter what leveling system is being used.

Are you trying to monitor student progress? Are you trying to see if kids
are reading on grade level? Are you benchmarking progress? Then you do need
some consistency... it ought to be a discussion first at each grade level
and then at the school level...what do we expect from our kids at each
grade? How do our expectations meld across the grades?

My personal belief is that running records are best used for formative
assessment purposes. You can use them to see approximately where the
instructional level is for each kid...but I would argue, more importantly, you
can
watch to see how the child processes text. Does he read for meaning? Are the
miscues visual or meaning based? Is he attending to punctuation? Phrasing
properly? Self-correcting?  Knowing these kinds of things help you teach
that child in a more deliberate way.
Jennifer

In a message dated 6/23/2009 9:53:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,